Monday, May 25, 2020

I took out my fourteen foot nine weight spey rod out yesterday afternoon.  It was my first chance to cast it with my new 475 grain OPST line.  I could not have been happier with the results.
I generally use shorter and lighter spey rods, but there are a couple of long distance lies on the Willamette where this longer rod could come in handy.  I had been gifted this rod, but had never seen a reason to use it.  I had not even bought a matching line for it. I did have a Skagit line which worked, but I had always used it on my eight weight spey.
I am not crazy about the Skagit lines for dry fly work, but because of the tip system with the OPST heads you can add a fourteen foot floating tip, or if you want to get down a little bit, they have a series of sinking tips.  The floating tip pretty much turns the head into a Scandi style line.
Now I just have to hope the steelhead numbers start to improve.  I would like to give my new setup a real test.

No comments:

Post a Comment